Nurse Revalidation – A Quick Guide
Revalidation is the process that allows nurses to maintain their registration with the Nursing Midwifery Council, (NMC). All nurses need to meet a range of requirements designed to show that they are keeping up to date and actively maintaining their ability to practise safely and effectively.
Global Care is committed to supporting nurses employed by us as they go through the revalidation process. Global care provides the structures to support nurses to achieve and demonstrate the requirements of revalidation.
Maintaining NMC registration is the professional responsibility of the individual NMC registrant and the organisation which employs them.
Who can support me?
Your permanent employer can support you with your appraisal and completion of Revalidation? Global Care also can support you by providing evidence to support revalidation relating to work you have undertaken with us.
The NMC requirements for revalidation are;
- Minimum 450 practice hours over 3 years since last revalidation.
- Minimum 35 hours of continuing Professional Development since last registration, (of which 20 hours must be partipatory).
- 5 pieces of practice related feedback, which have been collected since last registration.
- 5 written reflective accounts which have been collected since last registration.
- Evidence of reflective discussion with another NMC registrant.
- Declaration of Health and Character.
- Declaration of Professional Indemnity arrangements
- Confirmation by third party that the registrant has complied with revalidation.
Demonstrating the Revalidation Requirements
You can get full guidance of evidence requirements on the NMC website; www.rcn.org.uk/professional-development/revalidation. All nurses are encouraged to manage their registration through an NMC On-line account. Details can be found on; www.nmc.org.uk/registration/nmc-online/.
It is the responsibility of the NMC registrant to collect and provide evidence of the revalidation requirements, not the employing organisation.
If you’re a full time Global Care nurse and you would like support in completing your portfolio, please call our team on 020 8514 8580.